Click on tab to view pages.

How to JOIN quilting block swaps Australia

Hello and thank you for visiting. This is a community group for all Australian quilters to join or just follow. Membership is FREE and you are partnered each month and we make each other a 12 inch quilt block based on our preferences which we swap. (12.5 inches raw edge to raw edge) The emphasis of the group is on friendship and sharing. To find out more or register to join email me on quiltingblocks@hotmail.com This purpose of this blog is to chat and showcase blocks and quilts made by members, kind of like a show and tell . Yours in stitching, Sue



Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pyramid door stop and other stuff

I spotted a bright pyramid door stop on Marias blog a few weeks ago and she was kind enough to share the pattern with me.  I have a massive basket full of strips, mainly left over binding pieces and jelly rolls so I needed something useful to use them all up and this was a great solution.  I have to admit though I did get carried away sewing all the strips together and ended up with a pyramid somewhat larger than the pattern intended.  I may try again and make a smaller one or two as I have not even made a dent in my strip stash. 

scrap bag quilt in progress
I also purchased a Moda scrap bag on ebay a few weeks ago, in Awesome fabric.  Having absolutley no idea what to expect.  Its basically all the selvidge bits from jelly roll and layer cake productions, so you need to trim them.  There is not as many strips in a jelly roll, and I ended up with about 5 strips I could not use as the selvidge if trimmed would have only given me one inch to play with but most trimmed to 2.5 inches.  I may try to use these bits for the binding.

I googled jelly roll patterns and found this one.  So far I have only put the corners of each block together so I am yet to join these up.  I think I may put some sashings in between to break each of the four blocks up.  But for $15 (cost of the scrap bag) I think its a great bargain for a lap quilt.  To make it bigger simply add a few borders.

12 comments:

Maria said...

The door stop is great Sue. Love the rooster in the background too.

I have never from e-bay. Looks like a great bargain though and neat colours.

Have a great weekend.

Cheryll said...

I like the idea of the door stop to use up bits n pieces. Would be fantastic in a little ones room...no hard bits. GREAT IDEA!

The cats mother said...

Love the doorstop and quilt. Like you, I buy loads of fabric, usually in fat quarters or scraps and offcuts - such a great way to buy cheaply, especially if from the USA or UK, where even with the postage they come out at half the price of fabric here. There are plenty of things you can do with 1 inch strips so don't despair. I've seen a quilt made from 1 inch strips and it was amazing. I have also just finished a mini chintz applique quilt measuring just 10 1/2 inches by 12 inches which uses tiny little scraps as small as 1/4 inch, and the borders were from 1 inch strips. Will email you a photo.

Alex (PinkCraftyMama) said...

have you seen some of the fantastic selvage quilts around? I'm saving selvages for one!

Unknown said...

Alex, we are so alike, I have started saving selvidges to, and so far have sewed a dozen or so strips together of what i have used in the last few weeks. Getting the scrap bag full of selvidges gave me this idea. :-)

Alex (PinkCraftyMama) said...

Check out Jodie Carleton's work: http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/ she has a display in the window of a LQS at the moment - absolutely amazing!!!

Alex (PinkCraftyMama) said...

And this one too: http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/

crafty pug said...

could "the cats mother" let me know where she buys from on the net? im always so unsure where to go etc? would love some tips to explore for myself....any one else with tips?

Trish said...

If you don't have the time or the skills to make your own doorstop, you might like to view our hand-made range of pyramid doorstops - http://www.eastbourneart.com.au/shop/pyramid-doorstop/

We also have chook, goose & cat doorstops for those looking for something a bit different.

http://www.eastbourneart.com.au

Larain said...

I love your doorstop I am in the process of making owls for doorstops for my friends on the north As I can only send the owl, I am going to include a note "Hoot Owl says, I sorry to be so rude, but could you please fill a bag with sand and put it my bottom", I hope you do not find this tooooo unprintable, but I thought most people would think it was a little humorous. I will be making at least 6 so had better hit the sewing room. I love the way quilters come up with ideas, such as your pyramid.

Maria said...

NO!!!Is it 14 mths since I made my Door stop and still have not made more. Have a shoe under the bedroom door to stop closing. I REALLY must make some more.

RandR Serenity said...

Sue. I also love your door stops.
Any chance of posting a tutorial??
Hugs