Click on tab to view pages.

How to JOIN quilting block swaps Australia

Hello and thank you for visiting. This is a community group for all Australian quilters to join or just follow. Membership is FREE and you are partnered each month and we make each other a 12 inch quilt block based on our preferences which we swap. (12.5 inches raw edge to raw edge) The emphasis of the group is on friendship and sharing. To find out more or register to join email me on quiltingblocks@hotmail.com This purpose of this blog is to chat and showcase blocks and quilts made by members, kind of like a show and tell . Yours in stitching, Sue



Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I've used my COUNTRY STARS

I have been a member of the 12" block swap for just over a year now. I was collecting country stars. Some partners were kind enough to send more than one block.
It is great to get work from other people. Fabric and colour choices you wouldn't normally buy. Different blocks from so many but then again so many the same.
The hardest part when doing a swap like this is that your blocks don't always measure what they should. The colours can sometimes be hard to put together. That is the whole challenge of this. 
Once you start collecting a few blocks your mind starts then you begin looking for ideas. I didn't just want to put them together with basic sashings. I need something different.
Thanks to Pinterest I found something I could work with.... http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/407-layered-stars-quilt-pattern/8462
These are who I received the blocks from and have used.
1. Carolyn.    2. Irene.   3. Fiona.   4. Kerry.   5. Beth.   6. Lorna.   7. Cathy.   8. Kerry.   9. Debbie.   10. Kerry.   11. Vicki.    12. Jan.
Thankyou so much ladies....


Now they didn't all measure the same so I needed to trim them. With them being stars when I trimmed them back to the same size I would have lost my points. No way out of it..... Well, with the quilt picture in mind I decided to cut the blocks into quarters.... YES CUT THEM. Like I said. I would have lost the points anyway.


I rearranged them, added framing borders and stitched them altogether again.
The quilt top is done. It measures 140cm * 190cm. A good size.
Like I said, trying to put all the colours together makes your brain work a little overtime. I am happy with what I have done.


NOW TO QUILT IT...

5 comments:

CathyC said...

This has turned out to be a stunning quilt, Jo :) It is so unfortunate that some of the blocks you have received were not the right size. I realise that we are all at different skill levels, but anything more than 1/2 inch difference should be mentioned (nicely) :( - as a Swap Co-Ordinator myself, I hope you have :)

Jo said...

That's ok. It's all good. The quilt looks great and it just makes the challenge worth it. Everyone's blocks will always be different so it just makes us think a little of what we can do with them. The fabrics and work done are still so very good. I didn't just want a straight sashed quilt.

Fiona said...

what a brilliant idea.. it looks absolutely fantastic....
Hugz

Doveton said...

Jo you have created a beautiful quilt - I see my blocks there.

Carin@Ullhärvan said...

Beautiful!