Click on tab to view pages.

How to JOIN quilting block swaps Australia

Hello and thank you for visiting. This is a community group for all Australian quilters to join or just follow. Membership is FREE and you are partnered each month and we make each other a 12 inch quilt block based on our preferences which we swap. (12.5 inches raw edge to raw edge) The emphasis of the group is on friendship and sharing. To find out more or register to join email me on quiltingblocks@hotmail.com This purpose of this blog is to chat and showcase blocks and quilts made by members, kind of like a show and tell . Yours in stitching, Sue



Monday, May 16, 2011

Sylvia's Star

Sylvia sent me an email to not participate in the swaps for a couple of months as she was busy, and I was disappointed as I had ear marked myself to be her partner for June.  As it turns out I am going to be overseas for the first 2 weeks of June so we decided to be June partners in May instead.

As you may know if you follow my personal blog I have been practising with foundation piecing and although a I still find it confusing and a challenge I am pleased with how this star turned out for Sylvia, who requested any block in purple pink green and white.   I think I have covered all of those colours as the green butterfly print has some pink in it too.  I was a little disappointed as the finished block ended up 1 inch smaller than we make them, so I put a frame around it in the white.  So to the paper piecer's out there is this common that a pattern may end up smaller?

I will pop this in the post this week, I hope Sylvia likes it.

5 comments:

Sylvia said...

Oh Sue, that is fabulous! I love the cute butterfly fabric. I am working on yours this week!

Maria Teresa said...

Paper piecing tends to shrink things a bit. try to sew a little outside the marked lines. Sometimes it's the foundation paper that doesn't help.I've used your solution quite sometimes myself.

Melody said...

It's beautiful Sue. I must learn to foundation piece too. You did a great job.

crafty pug said...

a great outcome for a new technique! well done
xx

Bobbie said...

your block is lovely and you are clever to have thought to put the border on it ... i would not have thought of that ... haha ...

i have not had the block size change at all .. but i sew onto a fabric block as well as the paper ... and then when finished and i pull the paper off ... i still have a nice solid backing on the block ... it does not move and i can trim the seams back fairly closely too ...

a question ... when you printed it out ... did the pattern allow for seams ?? .. i am guessing it would .. and when printing .. did you set your printer to 'page scaling" none ... so that it would print to 100% right size ... or was maybe the printer on "fit to printable area" ... these are a couple of reasons as to why it may not be the right size ... but after that .. i am out of ideas ..