Click on tab to view pages.

How to JOIN quilting block swaps Australia

Hello and thank you for visiting. This is a community group for all Australian quilters to join or just follow. Membership is FREE and you are partnered each month and we make each other a 12 inch quilt block based on our preferences which we swap. (12.5 inches raw edge to raw edge) The emphasis of the group is on friendship and sharing. To find out more or register to join email me on quiltingblocks@hotmail.com This purpose of this blog is to chat and showcase blocks and quilts made by members, kind of like a show and tell . Yours in stitching, Sue



Saturday, September 25, 2010

A very fortunate find

I am soooo excited about this purchase that I wanted to share it with all of  my quilting friends.  For some time now (more than 10 years on and off),  I have been on the look out for an antique sewing table. 

Passing by an antique shop on Unley Road on Friday afternoon I glanced to my left and there is was.  I am so excited, it is in perfect condition, and is not only the cabinet but the original machine and instruction manuals and tools. Most of the ones I have come across have been missing the machine, or missing the timber top and replaced with marble.  This machine is a German made Gritzner and the antique dealer tells me it was made in 1910 but I cant find anything on the machine to verify that, it  has a serial number so I will do a bit of research.

I have popped my little collection of antique wooden cotton reels in one of the drawers as they match this quite well.  I might have a play with it over the next few days and see if I can get it to sew.  More postings on that.

6 comments:

Maria said...

WOW Sue waht an absolute treasure. Lucky you.

Larain said...

I am so envious, I have always wanted a machine like that one also. Fancy the books, tools etc. Sue you should buy a lottery ticket it would seem that this is a very lucky time for you.

chook said...

what a fantastic find
it is beautiful I have been on the same search .I cant wait to hear if you get it to sew
hugs Beth

Cheryll said...

What a beauty! I curse myself because my grandmother had one like this and I let it go when she passed away...many years ago now... but it's a shame I didn't keep it. Oh well such is life. Enjoy yours.
:)

Alex (PinkCraftyMama) said...

Sue that's amazing! It's absolutely gorgeous and totally worth the long wait to get one so perfect and complete! Congratulations!

crafty pug said...

what a find!!!! meant to be for you obviously!
enjoy
xx